Sunday 25 October 2009

Lynx Presents: Nazkar AKA J Octane





From humble beginnings in the Patterson Projects of the South Bronx, comes a budding star and his name is Nazkar. Although recently he has acquired the name J Octane which adds a whole new dimension to who he is as an artist, he is not far removed from tearing up stages and tracks everywhere as just the rapper. Now theres an R and B mixture thats brewing. There have been some bumps in the road just like any artists- thats certified grinding. Nothing happens overnight, reference your favorite artist. Music can sometimes be a right place at the right time type of thing or it can be hardwork and dedication. That dedication can be felt and heard in the product. The best have always been able to make us take a walk with them and capture our attention- with lyrics and realism. Is Nazkar the next to do the same? only time will tell. For now, get to know the man behind the music.

Basquiat:
Give us a little background on you as an artist:

Nazkar: Well my name is J Octane better known as Nazkar. I used to be signed to Epic Records now known as Sony Urban. Most of my fans generate from my collaborations wit B2K and former music relationship wit DJ Kay Slay. I now own a company named Bronx Universe Entertainment and VTweezy Ent. Those will be my outlets to my music now.

Basquiat:
Where did you come up wit the name Nazkar, many people would think that the obvious is speed racing- is that the case?


Nazkar:
Nah actually in 10th grade is where I wrote my first rap. I was in a group of rappers named the aces. It was Daytona, Loaded Lux- he was Penzoil, the other austin was Indy 5 and I was Nazkar. But it was Naskar. The Z is a product of evolution.

Basquiat:
More recently it has become prevalent in music to take on an alter ego,Is that the case with the J Octane alias?


Nazkar:
Yeah Well Nazkar is gonna always be who I am. NASCAR racers use high octane fuel. My fuel that drives me is music. I hear all types of music that might not necessarily be a Nazkar song. I still appreciate it and theres something in me that still creates non Nazkar music. Through that alternate lane I personified J Octane. It is kind of a alter ego but it's like a trance. A mode that I go into when I have that pen in my hand

Basquiat:
So J Octane is strategy?


Nazkar:
I wanted to show all of my musical talents but I didn't wanna distort the image of Nazkar. So I made it a seperate act. Nazkar is more of the young man I am. I know the streets. I'm hood as anyone else. But my music isn't always geared that way.

Basquiat: What is V12 and where did it start?

Nazkar: V12 started in my mind. Every car has an engine. Since I'm Nazkar my Engine is V12 and they are the people that keep me going. It's not a music thing. V12 is my support system. It's my heart.

Basquiat: Who is part of V12?

Nazkar: My Boy Sinn, Gooch, Mova, Hov, Unc, G Shine, Bam, Lando, my son Aaron and best friend Caktus. That's V12

Basquiat:
What does music mean to you?

Nazkar:
Music means everything to me. U could give me $10 Million and I wouldn't be happy if I didn't get it from music. I won't be happy if I die and the world doesn't know my passion for music. If I'm not doing music I'm not sane.

Basquiat:
where are you from to be exact?

Nazkar: Oh Im a NY nigga everywhere I go, BX nigga when I'm home. Patterson Projects stand up. My family from Harlem. I was born in Harlem Hospital. So I'm all the way NY been here my whole life.

Basquiat:
where do you see the music game at right now; Popular belief is that music- rap in particular is in dire straits, do u agree?

Nazkar:
I like the state that music is in now. It's in danger with the bests running it. Which means now it's time to reform. Rebuild wit new faces. It's so hurt right now they will accept anything good. If u come through with consistency and be unique you can prosper. We don't need another anyone or duplicates. Right now it's up to the new school to rectify this and usher music to the next level of existence

Basquiat:
What do you think you have to offer rap, and music itself?


Nazkar: I mean I'm a great mix of the Jay Z, Nas, Mase and Kanye. Then you add in Neyo, Trey Songz, and usher. Not saying I am all of them but all of them influenced me from a fan stand point. So by mixing all of those you get what I have to offer music- That Fun V12 sound. Music for every mood and everybody

Basquiat:
Most people have always associated you with the punchline style that rappers such as Fabolous and Lloyd Banks have made fashionable- how have you distanced yourself from that stereotype?


Nazkar:
Well I started out as a punchline king. Battling was my introduction to Rap. Over the years, my love for music has evolved: the way I look at music and approach my music. I went from battling to making songs. From making rap songs to writing RnB songs, from that to singing myself. I will do anything that I can to get the most out of my talent. I don't really worry about other artist. Same beat different studio, if you ask me. And I am so confident that I feel that they will never do it how I do it. So I distanced myself from them by staying true to myself and my passion.

Basquiat:
Cool Cool. Right about now Im gonna ask you some random questions just to give the audience a little more insight into you


Nazkar:
Thats whats up. Im wit that.

Basquiat:
What are your greatest accomplishments to date in life and in music?

Nazkar: I
would have to say one of my biggest accomplishments besides my son has to be performing at NBA all star weekend in Atl for Jam Session. Also the B2K christmas tour was nuts. 12k people screaming my name. Amazing rush. Un explainable

Basquiat:
Nas's song One Mic do u agree with his feelings in that song, is one mic all u need? why? Its arguably one of the deepest songs of this decade..do u have one of those in ur arsenal? If so tell us about it and why is it so powerful

Nazkar:
I mean I agree. The mic is your outlet. That's where u can tell your story how it is to you, exactly how u wanna tell it. It's the portal to relativity. If u speak your story nine out of ten theres going to be some who can people relate. If they relate to then they begin to like it. I know what fans like me want. And when I have the mic- just one mic- I give it to the people. I have a lot of personal songs in my arsenal and they all aim at giving the audience everything that is me.

Basquiat:
Do you have aspirations bigger than rap?


Nazkar:
I wanna make life easier for people who lived like me. I will start wit music but I wanna branch off. Not starting a liquor, maybe clothes but I wanna do political things. I wanna talk to the people who run my area. I wanna be the voicebox and music will give me the strength in numbers.

Basquiat:
Well I ask a lot of people this and im gonna ask u too, theres this cliche that says youre only one hit away...may ppl achieve that, but some become only that- one hit- y should the public look forward to you sticking around?

Nazkar:
I am not a one hit kinda dude. Reason being- I'm multi faceted. More than one flow. U can look forward to what type of song im gonna make next. If it's hot I can do it, and do it my way. I'm not 1 hit away. I'm 100 hits away. Lol. I ain't happy wit one. I will be a legend. One ear at a time.
As you can see Nazkar is very sure of himself and his music; I must admit the product is good and worth a listen and support. Thats what music is all about- grabbing as many as you can- one ear at a time like Nazkar said.

Stay tuned to Lynx for more on Nazkar: upcoming music, and events.

1 comment:

Coffee said...

Great Interview!