Thursday 29 October 2009

Lynx Presents Kel Spencer: The Interview






A few weeks back we introduced you to Kel Spencer, the brooklyn native who is really taking the music game by storm. Talented, conscious, philanthropic, entertaining, humorous, and more; most certainly a person to support and lend an ear to. I recently sat down with Kel to get a better picture on the man behind the music, to bring to you- the listeners- the most important element in this business.
With that being said, I bring to you KEL SPENCER:

*If you could describe your background in say 50 words or less what would u depict it as?*

I grew up in Brooklyn with Hip Hop as the soundtrack to me playing ball, chasing girls, cutting up in the streets, learning and progressing. I discovered I had a gift of words so I merge that gift with the same soundtrack that I had to now add to that soundtrack.

*Who were some of your influences in music?*

Man... Everyone from Stevie Wonder to Hall & Oates to Kool Moe Dee to Run DMC to Lauryn Hill to Andre 3000 to 2 Pac to Jay-Z to Biggie and even Michael Jackson


*What do you feel is missing in Hip Hop today and what is your strategy for filling that void?*

Balance is missing. People kill me when they say that dance songs aren't Hip Hop. Or when they say that some of the "soft" stuff isn't Hip Hop. Sugar Hill Gang was all about the dance floor, and Fresh Prince was partially comedic when he rapped but it was Hip Hop back then and not now? The problem is, there was a place for everything so it was all evenly dispersed. If you didn't want to hear Fresh Prince then you could listen to NWA. If you didn't want to hear Das EFX, you could listen to the Fugees but now you pretty much have to search for what you want to vibe to because what's pumped to the masses has no balance. I think that I'm a pretty balanced artist and I try to be just that to fill that void as to not be washed by the way side. The substance, that people say is missing, is out there. It's just unfair that it's all not being evenly dispersed but thank God for the Internet, and for the internet DJ aka The Blogger.


*When did you realize that creative talent that you have?*

It wasn't until I got to Morgan State. I went to Morgan as a student athlete and when certain things happened and I decided not to play anymore, I started recording in a dorm room studio w/ future Super Producer Sonny Brix. It was at that time that I started to realize how much listening to my father's old tapes & vinyl and how much the music classes, piano & saxophone lessons would pay off. Then on top of that God blessed me with a natural gift of word usage that I can only take credit for sharpening but He gave it to me. I started college at 16 so I was about 17 or 18 at the time.

*Was it hard to give up your sports dream to turn to music?*

Initially it was because I was playing football since 7 and basketball since about 10so those were my first to loves but once I "Fell In Love w/ Hip Hop" the transition wasn't that hard.

*How do you avoid the commercial trend in rap today and continue to give the public meaningful music?*

Supply and Demand. I'm always going to put out what's me and what's true to me but at the same time when preparing a meal you want to serve people what's both good tasting and good for them. I think I'm doing us all dirty if I serve Now & Laters and popcorn all the time. It tastes good ad looks pretty but that ain't helping nobody. But at the same time, most people don't want a plate of lettuce and vitamins each meal either. So I keep it basic, I know what's in my cook book and what I'm good at making and I match that with what it appears that the people want and need. Not having a major corporation looking over my shoulder to tell me what to cook is a big help too.

*If u could give any advice to an up and coming what would u tell them about staying grounded and true to what is your passion?*

I'm glad you said that word "passion." There are more opportunists in this game than there are true artists. If the new hustle was slap some ketchup on a canvas and sell it as art, you'd see Heinz sales going through the roof, lol!! So, I'd tell artists to make sure this is truly a passion and something you are actually built for, rather than looking at what the pay off appears to be.

*Do u find the same satisfaction in ghost writing as you do composing your own music?

Yeah, I actually do. I'm a man so I'll never birth a baby. But to have words come from a place outside of me then through me and out to all of you is damn near a birthing experience to me. And that experience feels the same whether it's for me or for someone else.


*Have you ever given an artist a song and thought to yourself maybe I shouldve kept that for myself this is too good?*

LoL! Nah, not a song but definitely a few bars and punch lines here and there but it's all good, Ha!!

*What was that moment like when you were nominated for the American Music Award? that is no small feat, and to have a national entity recognize u must have been overwhelming?*

Yeah, it was kinda dope because at the time there was this new Hip Hop phenom on the come up named 50 Cent. And one thing I love about 50 that so many people over look is his grasp and usage of songwriting. That dude can write a hook, a B-section, make it melodic and then fill it in with the bars to make it a package. So to have that ability and then have the sick buzz and then a song that I co-wrote beat him in that category was a good day for East New York, lol!!

*What's it like working with the iconic/legendary Will Smith?*

Dope! To have not only a working relationship but also a personal relationship with a dude like Will has had creative, financial, social, mental, and over all benefits. People don't become iconic by accident so to be in his company is nothing by positive and beneficial. It's even crazier to know that if you asked him that question, he'd say that knowing me has benefitted him and that is extremely humbling.

*Why do you call yourself the Hip Hop Moses?*

I actually didn't even give myself that name. I did a show and I heard this dude screaming up onto the stage saying "You're the Hip Hop Moses, You're gonna take Hip Hop to the Promised Land!!!" And I laughed it off. Now, normally, when I do a show, Whenever something unusual goes on in the audience my peeps will tell me that so-and-so-female is trying to holla or so-and-so-dude wants to give me a CD, etc.. But for some reason that day, as loud as that voice screamed it to me from off stage, Nobody, not a single person knew what I was talking about or who screamed what I heard, crazy right? So, I just took that in as something to own and conduct myself by. The only downside is Joshua took over and Moses never made it into the Promised land, lol!! But metaphorically speaking, I'm cool with it.

*What inspired the whole Pens of Power movement?*

My parents are educators. They each taught in The New York City school system for 20+ years ad now they are administrators. Education was always a string part of the environment in our crib. So just through hearing them talk and from the small visits that I pay to schools, I could see how the literacy rate was slowly dropping. I know that all these little jokers want to be the next American Idol, or the next 50 Cent or the next Beyonce. So, I figured I'd create a program that will give them the chance to write these songs and poems and stories with the proper structure all while tricking them into reading and writing better. It's like Zoolander's program for kids that can't read good meets the studio, lol!!!

*What's on deck for 3RD Power Music- what do you think will be the labels niche?*
Well, of course myself and my brother Flo Blitz, We are the premiere artists but there are 2 or 3 other artists that we're working with closely. We want to be a balanced movement that brings real music to real people. We want to remind people of when music was good. We want o evoke that feeling of the late 90's and and into 2000 when the economy was popping and all was well, ya know? We just want to relate to people and not try to style on everybody and pour champagne on everybody, ya know?

*So many artists say that the live performance element is the best part of what you do, and I've seen ur show, and I must say it blew me away- there was a genuine aura about it, a hunger and a comfortability- describe that for us.....How do you prepare?*

LoL! It's funny. Like I said, I played ball most of my life and any athlete knows that feeling of walking out of the tunnel or onto the court during pre-game announcements... The crowd, the popcorn, the cheer leaders, etc... Performing is the only way I get that feeling back. And because I feel that good, I want to make sure my audience shares that. I see these dudes get up on stage and do a hot cup of nothing and call themselves performers. Nah, son... That ain't hot. I use reactions from word of mouth or from the internet to know what my supports like and don't like and after a rehearsal or 2 with the band, some prayer and a little "Get Hyped" session w/me and Blitz back stage, It's On! I might let the cameras in on some of that "Get Hyped" one day, lol!!

*There's a cliche that says, Youre only one hit away...many people have achieved that one hit, and their careers, in some cases, have bee just that. Why should we count on you to stick around?*

Ok, stay with me on this... I come from a world in both sports and in my up bringing where hard work, showing skillful ability, and doing your job, gets rewarded. I then entered an industry that is based on public opinion of so many things outside of hard work, skillful ability and doing your job that it almost negates the whole concept of hard work being rewarded, leaving a person's success more in the hands of chance & "Right Place Right Time" situations than in the hands of working hard & well. But the irony in that is, Working hard enough at knowing that hard work should be balanced with chance has a great possibility of attracting a "Right Place & Right Time" opportunity for me to then be at a platform where hard work then gets merited and no one can out work me. There may be people that I can't out work but no one can out work me. And it's that drive to keep this culture with all of it's corruption and all of it's beauty alive to be able to tell my future children about it and have it benefit them the way


****For more info and music from Kel Spencer and 3rd Power Music Group******

Follow on twitter:
twitter.com/KelSpencer
twitter.com/FloBlitz

Kel Spencer's "Salon Stories" Album hosted by MC Lyte is Coming on OCTOBER 20th.
Download your FREE Sampler: http://www.zshare.net/download/64357606baed99d1/
twitter.com/SalonStories

Check out Kel Spencer's FREE Weekly Downloads at:
http://www.youtube.com/KelSpencerWednesdays

No comments: