Tuesday 8 June 2010

WHEN THE SOUTH IS IN THE HOUSE









Say what you want about Diddy, and believe I too have said alot, but I acquired some more respect for him after the VH1 HIP HOP HONORS that aired last night. He is a lot of things, not all of them good- BUT one thing you will not deny him is his artistry. The man is an entertainer, and I am proud that he is from my city cause he reps it. He put it down for New York yesterday and it was a beautiful thing, while paying homage to some other legends who deserved it to the utmost. J Prince, from nothing to something. i have been an admirer of his body of work for quite some time. From small time, to the national scene. As J.D. said, "our destiny was to shove it in your face and solidify that fact that we are here and deserve to be here."(paraphrase)

So much of my life has been like that, alienated at times maybe, but at home Ive always felt. Thats the spirit of what some would call a "hustler" which is not always negatively associated. In this sense its about ambition, persevearance the endurance to get up when knocked down. That is the only way to get somewhere in life as we know it.

There has been a lot made of North vs. South, etc; Last night none of that was relevant it was about success, about vision, about hardwork and innovation. All of the persons you saw on that stage personified that. fan fare aside, last night was about more than gold teeth, loud stereos, and big rims, all of which to mention I am a supporter of. It was about pride. The pride that I feel whenever someone asks me where I am from. The place that raised me holds a special place in my heart, as does the south in its inhabitants. If you didnt know now you know, the south is a force. You've seen it with the music but last night you were witness to the passion.
I take my hat off to the pioneers as I remember the Hot boys album, the ghetto D, UGK riding dirty, ATLiens by Outkast, and T.I.'s Trap Muzik. I was bumping that when people didnt have a clue. Shout out to Chattanooga, Tennessee where my family is, if it werent for you I too might not have been Hip, never knowing how to Hop into that old school and let that bass knock.

When the South is in the house, pay your respect.

No comments: