Wednesday 5 September 2012

If not for loving thyself....

There would be no love at all. Care to disagree? There is a reason its called self-esteem; Add to that the notion of self-confidence, self-respect, so on and so forth. Undoubtedly I could go on for quite some time, but I am sure by now you get the premise, that being SELF. The single most important thing in the world, outside of parenthood of course.

On the subject of SELF, take notice on the choice made by Jill Scott to present herself as all that she is. Yes it should be added that I have a silent crush on old Jilly, but who's really keeping tabs correct. On the serious side, coming October 2012 Jill Scott will be gracing the cover of Essence Magazine, a cover in which she is radiantly HER. Natural hair and all, not bowing to suggestions or contest for that matter.





 “This is the simplest form of myself. I look in the mirror and it’s like, ‘Hey, there you go. What’s up, girl?’ For me, hair is an accoutrement. Hair is jewelry. It’s an accessory. Tomorrow I may want a wig down to my butt and I’m gonna rock it, and the next day I may want a big Afro and I’m gonna rock that too…”




A little Background for you:   There was much to do made about her choice to cover Essence without weave, braids, or anything else man or woman-made. Instead she chose to portray her beauty, our beauty, its purest sense.  If I could have it my way, my little girl would be reading this exactly as it is published so she too will know (as I always remind her) that her beauty is exactly that- HER BEAUTY; just the way BLACK is.....  

No comments: