Monday 13 July 2009

Art and its imitation of life

They say that art imitates life, rather the question has been posed and I for one have wavered in my conclusion. More recently I have been under the theorem that life has begun to imitate the art. A disagreement with that would be a moot point- just check any surroundings that u r in and how people move, then turn on ur t.v. and it all seems choreographed patterned after what u will see. I recently watched snippets of a DVD that accompanies the debut effort from Maino- which I must say has come all too popular- no one gives u just their music anymore u must get the visual as well; Suddenly my theory was challenged. There's a certain authenticity about this guys music that is backed by credibility- is that not what life is about? If u agree then I ask y do we accept those who cannot prove what they have spoken to be experience. I went on to check sound scan and saw some very disappointing numbers in the way of his sales and I ask y. Is the music not good enough or is the message too real. Have we reached a point where truly content takes a back to seat delivery. Do not take this as a call to buy the album- if u like him support; what this is a call to though is an inventory of what has become of our tastes in music and thus of popular culture. How long can we go on letting life imitate the art and not vice versa.
Thoughts
Basquiat

No comments: